(In)form: The artwork of “To The Secrets & Knowledge”

To The Secrets & Knowledge
Working On It

One of my favorite parts of being an in-house designer at the label is that normally I get to hear the records before I start the artwork. It really helps inspire me more than I ever thought it would. I feel like I’m able to better capture the mood of a recording after hearing it, and hopefully create some art that “feels” the way the record “feels”. For the artwork for “To The Secrets & Knowledge,” I wanted to make the art convey the upbeat and clean feel that the record has, as well as play off of the mysterious nature of the title. After talking it over with Jeff (Schneeweis), we decided to make these small collages made of all the simple shapes that (for the most part) make up everyday life. Everywhere you look, these shapes are found in man made things, which represent ‘knowledge,’ and in nature, which represent ’secrets’. I also used small symbols for each song title with each song’s corresponding track number. I had a ton of fun making the art for this record… getting to look through piles and piles of old science fiction magazines and books for inspiration. Go pick up the record on January 26!

-Jordan Butcher

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “(In)form: The artwork of “To The Secrets & Knowledge””

1. Anonymous Says:
    November 26th, 2009 at 8:29 PM

This is fantastic! Thats exactly what I want to do when I “grow up.” I’m a sophomore in college and completely in love with Jesus, art, and christian rock. You have no idea how much this post has encouraged me to know that this kind of career is a possibility and something I want to work towards. :)

2. Anonymous Says:
    November 26th, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Sorry forgot my name. Kristi Bobo, Ft. Worth, TX.

3. Michael Clayton Says:
    November 30th, 2009 at 4:00 AM

Looks Awesome Jordan, great work, do you have a portfolio up online?

4. Jason Wall Says:
    December 6th, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Jordan, thanks for giving us a glimpse into your work. I’ve always been a fan of throwing organic textures onto geometric forms. Can’t wait to see what you do with the rest of the type.

As a fellow designer, I can totally relate to the joy of getting to hear an album (and occasionally help to name it) before the rest of the world gets to hear it… Especially when you go to the album release show and you’re one of the few privileged ones to be able to sing along to the new tracks.

By the way, I’ve been following your work since ‘Lost in the Sound of Separation’ but didn’t realize you’re now in-house at T&N. Congratulations! Must be nice to be so close to Invisible Creature.

I hope you’ll write more blog posts like this one in the future and continue to show the world what it is that designers do. Cheers.

5. Jason Wall Says:
    December 6th, 2009 at 11:51 PM

6. Preollato Says:
    November 25th, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Excellent afternoon, beauties! As I promised, here you are the many pictures taken at Franciacorta Shop Village, just near Brescia. I was a guest belonging to the outlet for 3 days for a special project, ¡°My Fashion Story¡±. I visited the one humdred and fifty shops and I determined the autumn winter 2013 2014 trends, among women, men, kids, sport, accessories and beauty. With all the merchandise I chose, I then created some outfits i will show you very soon and they also also will be published around the Francicorta outlet village programmes. We also filmed several videos during my choices to see you more about the brand new trends of next year.
    http://www.fgymclub.com/p-57.html #23433;心の海外正規品]イルビゾンテ バッグ(IL BISONTE バッグ)イルビゾンテ ベルト止めショルダー 411158]\34650
    http://www.fgymclub.com/p-42.html ※革製品/雑誌 2013掲載?※イルビゾンテ バッグ (IL BISONTE バッグ)イルビゾンテ バケッタヴィンテージレザーショルダーバッグ(M)5432400611]\71400★大人气の限定版激安バーゲンセール!
    Here¡¯s the backstage these 3 days. You can see more around the Facebook page Franciacorta Outlet Village. Enjoy the video!Per tre giorni ho vistato i 150 negozi del complesso electronic tra moda donna, uomo e bambino, sport, accessori, tessili e beauty ho selezionato my spouse and i prodotti che meglio interpretano, anche secondo il mio gusto, le tendenze dell¡¯autunno inverno 2013 2014. Abbiamo riempito pi¨´ di some enormi relle, ho selezionato pi¨´ di 60 scarpe, circa 50 borse e make up a non finire. Con tutti i prodotti scelti ho poi realizzato degli clothing in sets in nonetheless life che vi mostrer¨° presto e che saranno pubblicati su tutti my spouse and i canali di Franciacorta wall socket village. Abbiamo poi girato tanti online video media – pillole durante le mie scelte per raccontarvi di pi¨´ sulle tendenze della prossima stagione (Vi tengo aggiornate low appena saranno montati!). http://www.fgymclub.com/